"Graceland" is the name of my favorite song and album. It's by Paul Simon, but more importantly, it's what "home" sounds and feels like to me. We always listened to this album as we traveled from my home in Tennessee to my parents' childhood homes in Florida. But today, it's also a pretty good snapshot of my theology. Somewhere I really believe that the Christian journey is all about a wild trip to Grace-land. As I see it, Grace-land is the place where God is waiting to meet even us–with all the baggage and brokeness that we tote with us. Grace-land is the place where we will be received with open arms, even though our attempts at “getting it right” have been miserable failures at best. But, I think, every step we take is a step on the journey to Graceland.

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Prayers at work

There's a verse in James that says "the prayers of a righteous person are powerful and effective".  Sometimes, that's easier to see at work than other times.

Our church for the last year and a half or so has gone through some sort of "winter." It seemed like our spirits were all frozen over, as was any sort of joy at being Christ's church.

But something is beginning to thaw.  Folks are taking new interest in the church, and what we can do to make it more accessible to folks who haven't been "doing" church lately.  Suddenly people are volunteering, and saying "I can do that."  I'll be honest, I've felt a little winter-y too.  But suddenly, I feel more hopeful and joyful than I have since the "honeymoon" period of my ministry ended.

I think folks must've been doing a lot of praying for this church.  Come Springtime, come Holy Spirit...

No comments:

Post a Comment