"Graceland" is the name of my favorite song and album. It's by Paul Simon, but more importantly, it's what "home" sounds and feels like to me. We always listened to this album as we traveled from my home in Tennessee to my parents' childhood homes in Florida. But today, it's also a pretty good snapshot of my theology. Somewhere I really believe that the Christian journey is all about a wild trip to Grace-land. As I see it, Grace-land is the place where God is waiting to meet even us–with all the baggage and brokeness that we tote with us. Grace-land is the place where we will be received with open arms, even though our attempts at “getting it right” have been miserable failures at best. But, I think, every step we take is a step on the journey to Graceland.

Saturday, February 12, 2011

Home is where your tree is...

[caption id="attachment_138" align="aligncenter" width="640" caption="Country Living..."][/caption]

Where we are isn't really home, but we've planted our feet here for a while.   But when I see this tree-- and it's absolutely huge-- I feel home, in much the same way that I feel home whenever I'm in the mountains.   The tree guards my comings and goings between the house and the cornfields, and it seems to provide a stopping point for the beautfiul hawk that we see on a regular basis.

It makes me happy to see this picture.  It was taken on a blue-sky day, those rare days when everything seems to be in harmony with everything else, on a day when heaven and earth seemed to be one.

Everyone needs a tree to sit under and watch the day go by...

No comments:

Post a Comment