"Graceland" is the name of my favorite song and album. It's by Paul Simon, but more importantly, it's what "home" sounds and feels like to me. We always listened to this album as we traveled from my home in Tennessee to my parents' childhood homes in Florida. But today, it's also a pretty good snapshot of my theology. Somewhere I really believe that the Christian journey is all about a wild trip to Grace-land. As I see it, Grace-land is the place where God is waiting to meet even us–with all the baggage and brokeness that we tote with us. Grace-land is the place where we will be received with open arms, even though our attempts at “getting it right” have been miserable failures at best. But, I think, every step we take is a step on the journey to Graceland.

Thursday, February 3, 2011

Plinky Prompt: Name Something intangible that you never want to lose

Plinky.com is a great site that offers daily writing prompts--which is lovely for folks like me, who want to write more, but don't always have something about which to write.

A prompt I love: name something intangible that you never want to lose.

Of course, there are lots of things: my husband's love, my desire to write, my hope that people will eventually learn to play nice, my sense of compassion.  But there is one that is so much at the core of who I am that it cannot be overlooked.  The thing that would hurt the most if I lost it, I think, is my sense of humor.   I love to laugh-- and to be a part of other people's laughter. On days when the world is crashing down around my shoulders, being able to eek out even a giggle somehow improves my outlook.   I think, if I lost my sense of humor, I might not actually be me anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment